Thursday, October 22, 2009

Halloween Cookie Bake-Fest

Sugar cookies are my favorite cookie by far.  I try to collect cutters from every season so that I have an excuse to make cookies for every season! This year I added 3 to my collection of Fall/Halloween cutters.  A headstone, skull and cat.





Ethan loves to help us bake and cook so I decided to whip up an apron for just such occasions! I searched online for tutorials and found this one http://supamb.com/supafine/2007/08/24/sewinghow-to-make-a-kid-sized-chef-apron/ .  It only took 30 minutes (at most) and it is super cute!



The best part? It cost less than $1!! I need to make one for myself! The first day, we made up the cookie dough, rolled it out, cut out our cookies and bake them up.

The next day, Daddy helped us to decorate them.  This is where the fun really started!!





Sugar Cookies are my favorite because each one looks the same when they come out of the oven.  Then a little (or a lot, in Ethan's case) frosting, some sprinkles and a dash of creativity....each one is unique.





Josh and Ethan had some fun with the frostings.....







Here are my two favorite cookies:

The first one is Ethan's.  It wins the prize for the tallest cookie.





Then there is my Mummy.  I just thought it turned out really well!




The one of the best parts about making all these cookies is sharing them with friends!


Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe:

2c Sugar
1c Shortening
4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
1c Sour Cream
1t Baking Soda
5c Flour
2t Vanilla

Cream shortening, sugar, eggs.  Add sour cream alternately with dry ingredients.  Add vanilla.  Chill.  Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes.  Keep an eye on them, some of the smaller shapes cook faster than the bigger ones!

Buttercream Frosting Recipe:

1/2c Butter
1lb. Powdered Sugar
1t Vanilla
Milk (enough to get it to the consistency you'd like, I like mine thicker....Josh likes his thinner)
Food Coloring

Cream butter, sugar.  Add vanilla and milk.  Make as many colors as you'd like!




No comments: